Question
Posted by: Dina | 2007/07/31

Dog Diet

Hi, I've just inherited a 16 month old Golden Retriever and he's absolutely beautiful. I feed all the dogs Vets Choice with nothing additional except dinner scraps and gravy, bones every other day and the occasional raw egg however, the person who previously owned the Retriever fed him a cooked chicken breast, half a pannet of garlic fried chicken livers and vegetable soup on top of his Vets Choice. Inbetween she would feed him grated cheese sandwiches or liver pate or peanut butter sandwiches so I'm worried that I may not be doing enough for my dogs. I dont think I could cope with the sandwiches! My dogs have never been fed anything like this. Please let me know.

Vets Choice on its own is fine. Please feed according to the instructions on the bag. I always find it humerous when client say "I only feed my dogs X - with nothing additional; except y, z and p." Last week I was discussing a dog's condition with her owner who said I only feed her twice a day at the recommended rate. And then I give her .... Most of our pets eat more than they need. Labs have the habit of been resourceful as well and will feed themselves when out on a walk, often with vomiting and diarrhoea as consequences.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2007/07/31

I totally agree with the previous replies and have the following to add: Obviously it's totally ok to give your dog a treat now and then. But this means, let's say, twice a DAY, not twice an HOUR.

And the real secret is this. A dog will be just as happy with a quarter of a marie biscuit as with a whole one. A half-inch cube of cheese can be made to be just as exciting as a three-inch cube. A small piece of droewors is just as gratefully received as a whole stick. Try it, and see!

(And think of the benefit to your wallet, too - droewors is damn expensive!)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/07/31

Dina your friend is killing her dogs with kindness.

as cv says the vets choice is fine .. mine eat it and when i have leftovers ill put a little with their biscuits and my two are healthy with shiny coats.

The only problem I have with my two is they eat avocados all day .. we have so many trees its a problem.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Dina | 2007/07/31

Thank you for your helpful reply. I will feed according to bag instructions from now on. Just out of curiosity though, is the way my friend feeds her existing animals bad for them? Should I alert her or let her continue as she is doing? Her dogs are actually quite fat but they're regularly exercised.

Reply to Dina