Posted by: CODI | 2008/08/28

My German Shephard keeps biting his back (just next to the tail area), no where else. He doesn' t have any flees or worms. I' ve tried anything but just when the skin starts to heal he starts biting again, until it bleeds. What might be the cause?

Dear Codi

Most likley fleas. If you dont see them that only means that your dog is flea sensitive and you will NEVER find a flea on him. The flea will just bite him, jump of as he tries to kill them by knibbling himself. Spray the carpet with a flea killer as well. Also have his anal gland checked and his anus to make sure he does not suffer with anal fistulas.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

You sometimes can' t see the fleas - I' d totally rule this out as a possibility by using a good flea product like Frontline or Advantage, and give a Capstar tablet for a day or two as well.

Once skin gets damaged, the irritation can often be self-perpetuating.

I would agree that a vet may need to see the dog, specially if the area is very raw or damaged.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Karen | 2008/08/28

Have you taken the dog to the vet for a check up. It might not be fleas, but it could be something else.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Patjie | 2008/08/28

I would also like to know the answer to that question, my German Shepard / Collie crossing does the same and I' m desperate now for a solution. I' ve tried everything and nothing works.

She doesn' t have any fleas or mites on her. She turned 13 on 16/08/08.

Reply to Patjie