Question
Posted by: Gonzo | 2007/06/24

Dog bite complications?

On Friday I was bitten by a pavement special dog around the joints on my knuckles. I put some penicillen powder on the wound and a silver healing plaster. I am not allergic to penicillin. The following day I was advised to go for a tetanus injection which I did. About 1 hour after that I started feeling a little light headed and about 2 hours later I had fever, chills and extreme vomitting that lasted about 11 hours continuously and I was bringing up thick dark green stuff. Eventually it stopped but I am still feeling extremely weak. Do you think this attack was due to the poisoning of the dog or a reaction to the injection - however I have had a tetanus before in 2001 but never symptoms like this. Do you think it is ok now that vomitting has stopped.

Dear Gonzo
An allergic reaction won't usually give you fever and chills, it usually gives a rash or low blood pressure or itching or shortness of breath - it could have been due to germs from the dog bite that came into your blood stream. I think you should see a doctor as you may need antibiotics to drink per mouth to prevent further complications. I am also worried that you are a bit dehydrated at the moment.

1
Posted by: Shannon | 2016/04/16

I'm an er vet tech. I got bite by an aggressive dog today when trying to muzzle the dog. I was wearing protective cat gloves and he got me through the gloves. He is vaccinated good until Oct 2017. I had the series June 2015 (due to exposure). He punctured my left thumb on the joint closest to nail. It's not super deep but it bleed like crazy at first. Cleaned it then went to urgent care center where they did 3v xray-said they were normals. Numbed it lidocaine and bupivacain. Then cleaved with iodine and flushed like crazy. Afterwards they applied a butterfly bandaid and wrapped with light gauze and vet wrap. Went home worth tramadol script 50mg qid as needed for pain, augmentin 875MG bid with food. And recommended a probiotic as well. Do I had the pharmacists help pick one out. I am now currently feeling light headed, dizzy and nauseous. I took the augmentin at 6pm work food and probiotic and team adolescent at 8pm. I have chronic migraines that a were diagnoised...I just ate a sandwich to see if that would help but it didn't. Recommendations?

Reply to Shannon