Question
Posted by: Zoe | 2004/01/22

Dog barking, making me insane

Hi there,
I have a female on heat at the moment. Two days ago they got stuck doing there thing. Ever since then the male constantly is barking, doesnt want to eat or drink and is not interested in anything except the bitch. He is drooling all over her and is breathing heavily. He wont stop barking the whole day and the whole night. Plese tell me what i can do to calm him down and how long this will last for. I am also so worried that he isnteating as he always loves his food.
Please help.

Hi Zoe
Are you intending to have pups? If not, I think it's too late! When dogs "get stuck" it's called being tied and this is necessary for conception and is quite normal. Your male dog is just extremely excited. You may need to separate him from the bitch completely by sending him or her to kennels or to a friend for a while. Or your vet may be able to give him a tranquilizer. Don't worry if he doesn't eat for a few days as long as he is drinking. He may lose weight, but will soon put it back on afterwards. To avoid this situation my suggestion is that you spay and castrate your dogs as soon as possible (after the puppies, if necessary). Please contact your vet if you are still worried.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST