Question
Posted by: Claudette | 2004/10/18

Does the contraception injection effect weight gain?

Hi. After the birth of my baby i went on the contraception injection (every 8 wks). For the past 2 years now i've been trying to lose weight, but I always seem to only lose approx 3 kg's and then practically overnight I gain it again. I weigh 59kg and I am 1.62m tall. I would like to weigh 53-54kg but I have tried everything. I eat a healthy diet, have small meals throughout the day, drink 1.5 lt of water and exercise about 30min a day. I also am trying a new supplement XLtoS. My gynae says that the injection is stopping me from losing weight. Is this true? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Dear Claudette
I agree with your gynae - all female hormone treatments have the potential of causing weight gain, or making it difficult to lose weight. Seeing that your present BMI = 22,5 which is ideal for your height I cannot understand why you are trying to lose more weight. Constant dieting to lose weight when your weight is already ideal can land you in the vicious cycle of 'yo-yo dieting' which can damage your metabolism. Keep up the healthy eating and the exercise and stop trying to lose more weight.