Question
Posted by: Solia | 2003/12/03

Does the amount of amniotic fluid determine your baby's health?

I am 15 weeks pregnant. I went to see my gynae last week. The baby grew so much!! He's moving a lot, you can just see arms and legs moving up and down!

The doc says he's pleased with the baby's development and everything looks fine, but when I compare my sonar photos I got last week, with the ones I took a while ago, my amniotic fluid, looks like there's almost nothing there.

I showed the sonar photos to a few friends, and people at work, and they all say, that I might have a 'dry' birth. Is this harmful to the baby?

Does the amount of amniotic fluid I have determine how healthy my baby is? Because if I have to compare it with that, my baby doesn't seem to healthy, but the doc says everything's fine.

Does taking in more fluids, give you more amniotic fluid, or is there another way of trying to make it a bit more.

The doc zoomed in a lot in the photos, so could it be, that I'm just not seeing all the amniotic fluid there really is?

Please, if anyone can tell, my mind's going wild with thought...

Thanks.

I'm sure that your doctor would have noticed if the amniotic fluid was decreased. It is correct that a low amniotic fluid volume can be a problem, but this can be measured and, provided the measurent is more than 10, that is normal. You cannot really judge just by looking at the picture.