Question
Posted by: Stressed out! | 2005/12/02

Does stress affect my ability to conceive

How does stress affect ones ability to fall pregnant? We are in the process trying for a baby but I have the ability to really stress about things. I was suffering from severe cramping, which comes and goes periodically, and when I consulted a gyneacologist he told me he saw nothing wrong with me and can only attribute the cramping to stress. He told me I would have to relax. We have only been trying for the last month so I know I should still give it time, but the stress and the cramping is bothering me. Do I have reason to worry?

Stress does affect the ability to conceive, but the mechanism is not known. Obviously stress is quite hard to define and quantify. The cramps could be due to a spastic colon whihc may be stress related. It might be worth seeing a therapist to help you find ways of controlling your stress.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2005/12/02

YES!! Stress is very bad for conceiving. I stress a lot too and I have also been having these insane cramps in my lower abdomen area. Mine always happen at night and its extremely painful. Almost like a period cramp but a lot worse. I was also told by my gynae that he couldn’t see anything wrong with me. Do you have something similar?

You should try meditation and breathing exercises to relax. And yoga helps too.

Reply to Dee