Question
Posted by: Karen | 2003/02/18

Does St John Wort work or not ?

I would just like to know if St John Wort work for mild depression. There were some controversial articles that claim that St John Wort does not work even for mild depression. Are there any alternative suggestions ? I am talking here just about being under the weather for the last 2-3 weeks and needing some boost. This got nothing to do with major depression.

OK, there are many situations in which one feels under the weather for a few weeks, a bit below par and just not especially happy. These are usually related to changes in your situation or the events of life, and will pass off as mysteriously as the mood arrived. Actually, what usually works best for these situations are non-chemical things, like a bit of self-pampering, dealing with whatever stresses may have arisen, and getting involved in interesting activities and perhaps getting into a gym and more varied exercie and distraction.
St John's Wort remains controversial. There is some evidence that it may help some people with mild depression, but when it does, it seems to act in much the same chemical way as does Prozac and other antidepressants, and it has problems such as side-effects and potentially serious interactions with other drugs. And, as you say, there have been some other studies finding no paticular benefits from it, and it's not especially cheap, either.

3
Posted by: Zeena | 2003/02/18

Karen, the only answer is : TRY St John's Wort. Clicks stock the quite good Naturelle range. It's not a magic pill like. e.g., a tranquilliser, and will take two weeks or more to have an effect. I am not sure whether it works or not, as I have also heard varying stories. In general it does seem to work for mild depression.

I'd say, try it once. It can't do much harm and if it helps, you'll be happy.

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: Karen | 2003/02/18

Depression is due to no apparent reason. Did try gym - does not work. Don't want to drink antidepressants like Prozac. Just thought some natural remedy, like St John's Wort, will work. But you don't suggest it. What then ? Are there other natural stuff on the market ? Or must I just increase my gym sessions ....

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Visitor | 2003/02/18

It certainly worked for me. I felt the effects after about 1.5 weeks of taking it. Nothing dramatic. I just started feeling better. Whether it was in the mind I don't know, but who cares anyhow, the result was that I was feeling fine. I took it for about 3 months, reducing the dosage slowly. I was fearful of getting the mild depression back.

Reply to Visitor