Question
Posted by: Claire | 2004/01/09

Does smoking a hubbly-bubbly pipe affect your fitness

I recently recieved a hubbly-bubbly tobacco pipe as a gift, and I would like to know if it has any negative effects on my fitness and health. I have heard that it is harmless, but some people dissagree. Could you give me the facts?

Hi Claire

Well, I must be honest and say that this is a unique question, and I've had to do some research in places I'd never even considered before, so I hope that I was able to find relevant information.

I think that the bottom line is that tobacco is present in hubbly bubblies, just like in cigarettes, and tobacco has been implicated in side effects like many serious pulmonary, and cardiovascular diseases. Tobacco has also been found to be a carcinogen, causing cancers in the lung, trachea, bronchus, larynx, oesophagus, pancreas, kidney, bladder, cervix. Currently, there are various groups that are trying to crack down on the use of these pipes. Unfortunately, there is not much research on the Health effects. I did see that the Swedish Nobel Medical Institute was planning a study on this towards the end of last year, but the results are not yet available. There is no other literature on the issue. So, I can't really give you many facts - it's an area that doesn't seem to be too well researched or even considered, perhaps for a number of reasons, one of which is that it is still a very exclusive, cultural practice. However, because of the presence of tobacco, it would seem to be harmful, and I would not condone the use for long term health prospects.