Question
Posted by: Scared | 2004/11/05

Does pre-cum happen?

My fiance and I had sex without contraception but he didn't ejaculate inside me. I thought we'd be fine but now he's telling me about something he calls "pre-cum", that he says is a dose of sperm that is really potent and enters you without either of you feeling it. I've personally never heard of this but now I'm really scared. I'm 2weeks away from my period and I don't want to have a nasty surprise as neither of us are emotionally or financially ready for a baby just yet. PLEASE HELP!!

There are two small structures attached to the urethra (a passage running the length of the penis which carries both semen and urine to the tip of the penis) which are called Cowper's glands. During sexual arousal, these glands may secrete a clear, mucus-like substance called pre-ejaculatory fluid, or pre-cum. While the purpose of this fluid is not known, and the amount varies from man to man and from one sexual experience to another, pre-cum may contain some sperm. A partner could obtain an STD (including HIV), or could become pregnant, if the love drops come in contact with their partner's mucous membranes. There is no way to "control" pre-cum, except to avoid sexual arousal. So use a condom from the very beginning of any sexual interaction between two people. Be safe!

3
Posted by: Frag | 2004/11/05

Also, why not try the Mereina Loop (not sure on spelling). Its very effective, its a physical barrier, as well as hormonal barrier against pregnancy, and lasts for 5 years. You litrallly become pregnant 2 months after taking it out. Its a bit expensive , close to R3000 but considering the stress and cost of pills every month......a good alternative.
good luck

Reply to Frag
Posted by: Frag | 2004/11/05

Hi Scared.

Theres good news and bad. The bad first, as you already know. Yes, there CAN be SOME sperm in pre-cum. It a clear drop or two of fluid that oozes out the penis when a guy gets really excited. Its really meant as a lubricant, just like the vagina gets wet ready for penetration. Yes also, that this sperm can make you pregnant. HOWEVER, even a single sperm right near the entrance of the vagina can swim up and fertilize the embryo, but the chances are slim.
The good news - The acidity of the vagina, and the sperm without the protection of the fluid around it makes that journey a very difficult one indeed. So too with the precum, its most probably too little to make you pregnant, and the chances are slim. Your only really fertile a few days in the month so that also helps your chances of not being pregnant. But on top of that, are you, and more importatntly your man, 100% he didnt ejaculate at ALL? This could also play a part.
If your sure of the above, you should be in the clear. Learn from your mistake and go on the pill, for godness sakes, or take the morning after pill if your not sure. Use a condom if you dont want to take the above.
A note on morning after pills. You have up to 72 hours after sex to take them, however their reliablilty drops off the longer you leave it. A friend of ours fell pregnant taking it at 60 hours, so be warned.

Reply to Frag
Posted by: Lolita | 2004/11/05

Hi Scared,

You definitly can become pregnant from pre-cum. Its pre-ejaculatory fluid that contains sperm. So even if he does not cum inside you . . . .

Reply to Lolita