Question
Posted by: Lolo | 2008/01/24

Does my baby need profesional help?

Hi CS

My 3 yr old witnessed her father hitting me then i broke up with him and now my baby doe not want to talk to him on the phone when he calls her, i asked her why and she said dady is hitting momy, i understand her anger but does that mean she hate him or must i do something before she get more affected phycologicaly.

please help.

I'd be interested to see what other readers think about this. This sounds like a realistic efect of a child witnessing her father being violent towards her mother. If it is limited to her being reluctant to talk to him, and she is not otherwise affected ( eating and sleeping and playing well ) she probably doesn't need professional help. But try talking gently to her about this, perhaps helping her understand that adults like her mom and dad sometimes get very angry and do things like that which are wrong, but that you don't intend for that to happen again