Question
Posted by: Troy | 2006/04/04

Does it work

My Dr put me on Aterax 50mg 3 times a day,plus Ativan 2.5mg twice a day and at night time i am on Dormonoct 2mg,well my anxiety seems to be under control,but i want to know how safe Atarax is and for how long can one be treated with it,and i have been on SSRI`S but i cant get one that works well with me i need a strong one what do u suggest,i have been on Prozac and Aropax,all i have is chronic anxiety i am 25 years old and male,thank you any advice will be geatly appr

All the drugs mentioned don't CURE anxiety, but, being sedative, may reduce its symptoms. Dormonoct is used to help you sleep at night, and not by day ; Ativan is a sedative tranquillizer. Aterax is an odd drug, strengely popular with some, especially older, GPs, and purely sedative. It's actually an antihistamine ( a type of drug used to reduce allergies ) which is too sedative to be much use for that, and used to sedate anxious people. I have never prescribed it. Ativan ( and I suspect Aterax as well, though there are fewer studies of it ) can cause dependency if taken for more than a few months,
As you suggest, it would be more usual these days for a shrink to use an SSRI, for depression or anxiety. Citalopram ( chemical name ) cheapest in the chemically equivalent form of Cilift, is a useful possibility there