Question
Posted by: Heavy Weighter | 2008/01/30

Does Herbalife work?

Hi Doc, in your article about the Biggest looser you make a statement saying...The slimming products advertised along with the programme will help you to lose weight. This is untrue, because there's no scientific evidence to suggest that any of these products can make a difference in terms of weight loss, or that they're safe to use.

Please advise if the same can be said for Herbalife, beacse I dont want to spend hundreds of rand each month on a Herbalife wellness coach telling me its works and the others are fakes and not good etc.

Really desperate....

Dear Heavy Weighter
I did say that the various slimming products advertised with the Biggest Loser programme have not been proven as weight loss options and there is no guarantee that they are safe. I can also not guarantee that Herbalife is going to make you lose weight. Basically I am opposed to the use of diet pills and potions, including the herbal ones, because the vast majority of these products cost a lot of money (as you say), they do not produce the desired weight loss (it is usually the starvation slimming diet they give you along with the products that causes weight loss) and finally they often contain ingredients that are potentially harmful. Many of the herbal products contain harsh laxatives and diuretics which can cause you to lose the normal function of the digestive tract, cause nutrient imbalances and also dehydration. I would recommend that you rather spend your money on a gym or Walk for Life membership and use a well balanced low-fat, high-fibre or low-GI diet to lose your weight - much safer.