Question
Posted by: Curious | 2005/12/06

Does happiness only depend on us ?

I often hear people say that happiness depends all on ourselves, that it is a state of mind. I am not always sure, I know we have a choice about responding to situations ? but sometimes I feel like a machine programmed to think that everything I do depends on me, but surely as human beings we must be influenced by our environment and the people around us. surely you can be happier if you are in love with someone and not just in love with yourself. whats the answer to real happiness does it all really depend on us or also on others around us ? frinds of mine often talk about how happy their lives are because they have wonderful partners and are in love ? Whats the answer ?

Of course we ae INFLUENCED by our enr\vironment ( and equally, we influence it ) --- but we are still at liberty to choose how we will feel about it.

21
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/07

A bit if banter and harmless ambiguity adds spice to life.... :-)

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/06

eish.... FIO.... I am watching you! ;-)

Reply to ...
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

I prefer small, intimate gardens where I can touch all sides with my hose. I am a good gardner, know how to put things in the right place, get the most growth, and when things blossom, they sure do blossom.

Can I plant a plant in your garden, I'll put it in the right place, and make sure it gets lots of watering, and no doubt your garden will be blossoming throught the year.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

VERY small. I can't plant anything big in it. But the plants do seem to thrive in it. Takes lots of watering though. And I do all the work in it myself as well.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

It depends on how big the garden is. If its too big, watering is a waste of time, you'll never get finished and end up very frustrated. How big is your garden?

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

Just be careful where you water, though. Those weeds can be very tiresome. Maybe a watering can would be better if your plants aren't too big.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

I'll take some photos the next few days, and if no rain I'll take out my hosepipe and do some watering.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

Take a photo and send it to me. I am a keen gardener. I love messing around in the garden. It makes me happy. I am happier still when it rains. I can almost hear the plants growing then.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

I have an awesome garden, but have to keep it trimmed with all this rain.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

Well, you must have very strong and healthy plants then! The rain is very good for them, you know. Mine are busy drowning.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

Dreaming of great things is good. I can imagine how different the rain your side is to the rain my side. Been lots of rain this side too. Had a good one last night, soaked everything....

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

I am was day-dreaming about the lovely South African sun. And yes, it was a great rain dance. Had me dancing for quite a while, but to see and feel the rain was worth every second. But would love to be under that glorious sunshine right now, even though I am enjoying the rain.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

Well done, must have been a pretty good rain dance. But if you do your rain dance, how can you lie in the sun and get wet at the same time?

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

Yeah, maybe I did a rain dance?! I could always dream of lying in the sun with the rays kissing my shoulders. Heaven!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

It may well be wet there, but is this the result of your open, positive attitude?

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

Well, it is very wet here today, FIO.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

I agree, you can change where you are, and in doing so create opportunity fo rbetter things in your life which will contribute to your happiness.

Attitude makes a big difference, the right attitude does draw better things into your life.

Frusty , you are right. Think of somethign good that has happened to you today as a result of an open, positive attitude. Surely there must be something...

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/06

Mmmm, well put FIO. But we can still change the things around us to MAKE us happy. But ultimately, we have to be happy within ourselves.

Once you are happy with yourself, you can then think of ways to make money. It is also an attitude and with the attitude of happiness, people are drawn to you, so you will then have friends etc.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Delene | 2005/12/06

FIO
Yeah thats true.
Sum people are also just happy to be unhappy....

Reply to Delene
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/12/06

You are right, its not just on us, otherwise we would all be so single and so happy.

When people refer to happiness in this regard, they are referring to the things that bring us down, using our attitude and outlook on life to defeat depression, when its possible of course. But all depression can be beaten by thought alone.

Being in love and having ownderful partners adds to the happiness people already have within. I can be very lonely, yet still happy. And having someone else in my lfie would add to that happiness. So yes, a lot of happiness is dependent on circumstances around us.

But there are some people who have love,m have money, have everything, but are seriously unhappy. Reason? They are not happy with themselves. So its all a combination of factors really.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Delene | 2005/12/06

Up to ourselves...No......and yes.
I think our partners in fact do have allot to do with it.

Your partner can make or break you.

But you choose your partner.......
And sum people choose to be without a partner & they are happy too.

Its about making the right choise i guess.
If you are unhappy, its your choise to stay...or not...
(my unprofessional opinion)

Reply to Delene