Question
Posted by: ftness | 2007/03/20

does epsom salt = slow-mag?

I have been advised by my GP to take slow-mag caps because i exercise 4 x per week and have low blood pressure. financially it's not always possible to buy the slow-mag but i've read that epsom salt contains magnisium - so would having 1/2 tsp in water once a day be as effective as taking the slow-mag caps?
just wondering...

Dear Fitness
Although Epsom salt does contain magnesium it is magnesium sulphate which is usually used as a purgative. Slow Mag contains magnesium chloride which generally does not have quite as much laxative action. So try the Epsom salts, but if you find that it causes diarrhoea then you will have to stop as constant diarrhoea results in the loss of essential minerals from the body.