Posted by: Sue | 2008/05/30

Does Docters know how to treat Bact Inf?

Is it difficult for Doctors to treat bacterial infections/ skin infections? I have been to my GP who diagnosed me with a staph infection that kids have that is severally scarring my skin, and then put me on reacutane. I asked her is she sure this can help, as a almost 30 year old women I don’t want to take reacutane. She said she is sure. The pharmacist and second opinion said no way!

I went to a dermatologist who said she can see I have an acne prone skin and will treat that. When I asked what about the infection she kept brushing me off with her hand, saying it’s clearing up. I said it is not, it is still burning and still scaring and I still get new ones. She said its fine, just don’t use any bactroban etc for infections, as it will make the acne worse. I begged to help with the infection as this is what is scarring; she was changing the topic the whole time.

I have been two 3 Dermatologist, one admitted he didn’t know what I have on my skin but continued to treat me with acne medication, that had my hair fall out etc but no help for my skin. I have no self esteem left, no trust in doctors and a really bad skin. Surely there has to be standards for doctor’s treatments, why do I have to pay for highly expensive doctor treatments that don’t even bother to do test to find out what it is. Are there doctors that specialise in bacterial infection? I googled and saw there is a lot of other things that can cause acne liked things that are burning the skin like crazy.

Please help where can I find a doctor that can help or is this something that needs to go to cart a balance as I see on a post below that make me belief that maybe SA doctors including Dermatologist are not trained to treat something so obvious on the internet but are charging a lot of money for but are not helping. If my car is not fixed after a service I take it back at no cost shouldn’t start to apply for doctors that don’t even try to find the right treatment for their patients, and give medications that will not work but have side effects like antibiotics or accutane, androcur.

If you have any advice where I can go I will appreciate it as I have seen a lot of docters about this.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Thank you for visiting

I strongly recommend that you have skin scrapings and a MCS of the pussy areas done. This will confirm if you have a bacterial infection or just an allergic reaction. I therefore, also suggest that you go for extensive allergy testing. These tests can be done at any pathology department at a hospital.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.