Question
Posted by: Yum | 2005/07/25

Does cheese cause nightmares??

Feeling quite silly for asking this, but I read (in a YOU magazine) that there is an enzyme in cheese that triggers nightmares? CS, is there any truth in this? I used to have cheese sandwiches as a before-bedtime snack, but I always ended up having nightmares, so I stopped having it and the nightmares stopped. However, last night I had cheese and woke up this morning feeling absolutely terrified and shaky because of the horrible dreams I had. I still feel quite disturbed by what I dreamt.

Is it the cheese, or just the fact that eating before bedtime is not such a good idea? (I always have the munchies before I sleep)

I'm not sure about an enzyme, but chemicals in cheese and other concentrated dairy products can enhance sleep and dreaming, and if one is otherwise prone to nightmares at the time, might increase nightmares. Eating a large meal just before bed-time isn't a good idea in terms of promoting good sleep, but this isn't about nightmares.
When my DTSV connection was on the blink, I thought of having cheese and yogurt as a late-night snack to encourage some more colourful dreams. Try changing your late-night snack to something less cheesy, but easily digestible. And yes, one is cautious about believing everything you see in YOU --- I'm even cautious on the rare occasions they might quote me !

9
Posted by: Cheese lover | 2005/07/26

I made myself toasted cheese sandwiches late last night and I had a drinking youghurt as well, heavy dairy overdose if you ask me, but I didnt have any trouble sleeping. Although I have to say, most things usually work backwards with me, I can have a double espresso and fall asleep right away.

Reply to Cheese lover
Posted by: Jake | 2005/07/25

My gran always gave me a glass of warm milk when I couldn't sleep.

Reply to Jake
Posted by: Purple | 2005/07/25

My mother always warned us about eating cheese before bed, but I thought it was an old wives tale.

Personally I don't have a problem with nightmares after eating cheese, but then again, I have no allergies, never get indigestion and can do things like eat an entire tin of condenced milk in one sitting, before breakfast and feel quite fine afterwards (I've obviously stopped doing this to control my weight though).

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/25

ANY dairy product is bad - you drink milk - you toss and turn, the milk turns to butter, the butter turns to unsaturated fat, the unsaturated fat turns into alcohol and you wake up with a hangover!

But I do know that cheese does have that effect on some people - it is also apparently a headache trigger for others?

Perhaps get mythbusters to check it out, lol

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: Nuffing | 2005/07/25

Eating cheese (esp lots of melted chees like on a pizza) late at night definately results in a restless night with lots of strange dreams for me.

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Yum | 2005/07/25

Thanks for the replies - and Joanne E - the Horlicks was always one of my favourites, so I'll stick to it. And yes Purple, I agree, one has got to take everything printed in the YOU with a pinch of salt. I like the way u put it - it puts perspective on things and makes me wonder whether I too easily suspended my disbelief when reading the stuff in the magazine. I couldnt help but wonder whether there was a link between the two though, given that whenever (without fail) I eat cheese at night, I have nightmares. CS, any comments?

Reply to Yum
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/25

Haha! Good one purple! In this case it is correct though - perhaps they copied it off the net (where of course everything is true, lol)

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: Purple | 2005/07/25

I would not believe much that you read in YOU magazine. They aren't exactly known for their journalistic integrity.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: joanne E | 2005/07/25

Yes in some people it does. Not an old wive's tale. Rather have horlicks.

Reply to joanne E