Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2004/11/29

Does anyone know if donating blood shortens your lifespan?

Hi all

I know this is probably a question for Cyberdoc, but I was hoping to get some answers from you guys as well. Does anyone know of any reason why a person should NOT donate blood. The reason I ask is because when I donated blood last year I was told by a higly knowlegable person that donating blood actually shortens your lifespan, this person went on to describe exactly what happens to the body when donating blood. I would hate to think this is true, but I can't help but wonder. Do you think this is true?

No it doesn't shorten your life at all. Obviously if you donated far too much it could harm your health, but no responsible Blood Transfusion service would allow you to do that, and if you tried to, the quality of the blood you donated would fall, and become much less useful. I very srongly doubt whether the "highly knowledgeab;e" person you met last year actually knows much at all.

3
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/29

Hi Jenna,

Although not knowledgeable as our esteemed CS, I would like to tell you that I think donating is very healthy. Was given to believe that within at least 24 hours, the blood that you donate is replaced by "new" blood. So my thinking is that donating is one sure way of making sure your body always has the capability of producing new blood, & being sustained on new blood.
I am sure though that there are conditions that do prohibit some individuals from becoming donors.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Q | 2004/11/29

tO DONATE BLOOD HAS SOME CONSEQUNCES AND SOME DOCS EVEN REFEUSE TO WORK ON PEOPLE THAT DOES!! The princepals are as follows 4 -6 times a year is the limet but try to keep to 4 if you over do it like in anything good or to much it becomes harfull!!!!

Reply to Q
Posted by: Jenna | 2004/11/29

Thanks CS. Will continue to donate with any doubts

Reply to Jenna