Question
Posted by: Friend | 2004/02/18

Does anyone know a good female therapist - East Rand

Please let me know if theres someone who can recommend a female therapist, or alternatively, where do I begin to look?

Friend,
We do not encourage the touting of specific therapists on this site, and as nobody can keep aware of all those in practice, their skills and abilities and interests, such advice is not practical. DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS to people promising confidential advice, as here's no way to know whether they are worth trusting.
Ask your GP for advice, as he/she'll have had experience and feedback from refering people to psychologists near you.

3
Posted by: Ladylife | 2004/02/22

While many reasons given for not giving out e-mail addresses is a very sound and sensible one, I cannot help recall a lady in our suburb who was viciously raped and assaulted and on the 'good' advice of her G.P. she went along for almost 4 months worth of councelling to a therapist who's advice and 'grilling' of the patient was nothing short of barbaric!

I contacted the G.P. to ask just why he had recommended this particular therapist and his rather cool reply was that he writes down any therapists names as well as the suburbs they work in so anyone who asks for councilling - he simply digs into his book and pulls out a name.

My neighbour was subsequently, on the recommendation of very knowledgeable people, sent to a wonderful gentleman who immediately had her hospitalized as she was deeply traumatized and it was clear that she had been suffering through a nervous breakdown ever since her attack and this sorry excuse for a 'therapist' was recommended to her.

Yes, I think it is scandalous that people cannot recommend someone and even more scandalous that G.P.'s do not carry far more in-depth information re which therapist is better suited for depression, which for post traumatic stress disorder, etc, etc,etc.

I doubt whether anyone of us who has to have painful root canal treatment done or have several teeth pulled is not going to first ask for advice from as many people as we possibly can before we commit to the dentist who received the most recommendations.

Regards.

Reply to Ladylife
Posted by: Jock | 2004/02/20

I thought this was a site to help people? Arent we all trying to help one another? What on earth is someone going to do with someone else's email address bar communicate with them? I dont personally see any harm in that? They either elect to communicate back or not - freedom of choice I think it's called? Doc do you really want these desperate people to miss out on an opportunity to get help with their problems? Sounds to me like it's your advice or nothing at all? For goodness sake we are not expecting them to divulge their telephone numbers, address, age, date of birth and ID number! Just a contact email address. I dont recall seeing any negative responses or warnings to others about someone's bad experience with such 'untrustworthy' people? Do you?

Reply to Jock
Posted by: ANTIDOTE | 2004/02/20

YES - WHAT IS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS?

Reply to ANTIDOTE