Question
Posted by: White Tongue | 2003/02/25

Does a white tongue indicate HIV infection

Is a white-coated tongue an indicator of HIV infection? Recently I underwent a pre-employment medical and could not get the job and thought it was the white tongue. I am due to go for another one and dread the moment they will say 'open your mouth' Are there any medications that can wipe out the white coating? I started noticing the white when I began brushing the top of my tongue with toothpaste and assumed it was the fluoride. Which is which?

WT, it might be that you have oral thrush. People with HIV may get oral thrush, but oral thrush is not a sign of HIV. Why don’t you stop brushing your tongue? It really isn’t necessary and it sounds like it’s just causing problems. Good luck.
PS I wrote something a while ago on tongue changes and if you’re interested in a copy, you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za.