Question
Posted by: Isabella | 2007/11/30

Doctors opinion non diet please?

I am 46 years old. 5"6" (sorry not sure of cm I think 165?) Weight 78kg. I would like to lose about 10 kg. I am working out 3 times a week with a personal trainer for an hour each time.
My problem is my trainer and my husband are on at me about my eating.
I was doing Sureslim but got really bored with the diet and althought it worked quickly at first it then slowed down and motivation dropped to be so deprived with min result. .
My husband swears by it.
My trainer says I am eating too little and that is why not losing weight.
My current routine is:
Breakfast one of two slices of low GI toast. With marmite and slice of chedder cheese. One most days 2 if hungry. With that one cup of coffee and a glass of 100% juice usually cranberry (recommended by Doctor for "other " problem)
After breakfast one tin of that power caffine drink ( 495cal)
Lunch: most days a salad or a wrap.
After gym one tin power play
Dinner a protien ( e.g. chicken lightly fried or grilled and salad or vegetables.
My husband says I am not eating healthly and my trainer says I am not eating nearly enough.

Can you please give your opinion.

Dear Isabella
Your current BMI = 27,7 which is in the overweight range so it would be good to lose some weight. The diet you describe is not balanced and may ironically contain too much energy for you to lose weight - liquid sources of sugar like the fruit juice and the power caffeine drink (which contains nearly 500 cal or 2100 kJ which equates to 33,3% of your daily energy intake when slimming) are probably hampering your weight loss. Then there is the power play product which may or may not contain extra energy. Your diet is also lacking calcium, dietary fibre, omega-3 fatty acids and other protective nutrients. I would recommend that you try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and reducing your intake of the power drinks. By all means drink water when exercising and have a high-fibre carbohydrate snack before or after to replenish your glycogen stores, but do choose less energy-rich products.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.

1
Posted by: Isabella | 2007/12/03

Thank you for yor input Doc. Much appreciated.
BUT the links you provided above only go as far as "weight loss" Under that there is no "Balanced Diet" link to follow and hence no "slimming diet". :-( I tried a few of the links but can't find it can you confirm please?

Reply to Isabella