Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/06/23

DOCTOR/PATIENT

CD

Is it really true that the majority of patients dont do what their gp's/patients tell them to do and most doctors/specialists dont expect them to either?! EG, a cardiologist says to one patient "go and do regular exercise, stop smoking, lose weight and have a healthy diet", knowing that it is unlikely the patient is not going to do as he has prescribed. If this is in fact the case, what are people going to gp's/specialists for if they know they are unlikely to take their advice?

I am beginning to think that my brother was right, i.e. however much my lymphoedema bothers me (believe me it bothers me a lot sometimes!), maybe it is in fact a blessing in disguise, i.e. its changed my whole attitude to my health, i.e. I am being far more careful in watching what I eat and not just nibbling at the 1st thing I see like I used to do and have started with my Walk for Life program (which I love even if I am struggling - I have the most wonderful manager and her assistant is great as well).

Thanks for the help. Enjoy the weekend.

Dear Anxious
No I don't think one can generalize - I have had patients that followed instructions to the T, and some that did not - I think it depends on how serious the patient feels about changing his/her health and what his or her specific circumstances are, maybe the patient does not have the means or the time to follow a specific diet or exercise programme. I have sympathy with patients who find it difficult to change habits due to stressful circumstances or other reasons. I think a doctor should always try to see the situation from the patients point of view too.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/06/23

CD

Sorry that's gp's/specialist (obviously not patient)! - finger trouble!

Reply to anxious