Question
Posted by: sunshine | 2004/10/04

doctor messed up

i recently had a breast job done(2months ago).
the main reason for having the opperation was to make my breast's the same size.i told my surgeon this.as well as fixing the differance in size i also wanted the size of my nipples made to match each other.
its been 2 months and the swelling is all down,but the one breast is still bigger than the other.i went from a 32c to a 34c..but the bigger breast does not fit into a 34c,its spills over my bra,and you can notice the one breast is much bigger and fuller..and it hangs lower than the smaller breast,which causes this uncomfortable pulling feeling when i have no bra on.it feels very heavy,and unsupported compared to the smaller breast..i did ask the doctor about how the breast would sit after surgery..cause i was concerned with the sagging on the bigger breast...i asked if i should have a lift as well as an implant on the big breast..he told me the big breast would be firm and not to worry..but like i said it pulls alot and sits much lower than the other breast....basically what i would like to know is,should he fix my breasts for free or at a reduced fee?should he fix them?
i paid almost R20 000 for the boob job and i didn't get what i asked for...shouldn't he have known how much differance in size there was when he checked my breasts?he put 200cc in the big breast and 240cc in the smaller breast.oh and i had to correct him just before the op(while lying on the opperation table)that the 200cc was going in the left breast and the 240cc in the right...what usually happens when your op doesn't turn out right?please could you help me out with any info...i have to go back to the doctor this week and would like to know,if i have a right to tell him to fix the breast differance....thanks a lot :-)

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Sunshine,

I understand that you are extremely upset and feel emotional. You need to approach the whole issue with a clear mind, though. What I suggest you do is the following:

Write down exactly what you wanted initially. Then write down exactly what your problem is. Discuss this with the doctor and find out exactly why things did not turn out the way you expected them to. One would generally not re-operate or make any surgical correction before at least 6 months have passed. It is commonly known that the body needs about this amount of time, before it is totally settled.

However, this does not mean that something else might be wrong, which needs to be addressed - ie fluid build up in the one breast, which might well account for the fact that the one breast appears fuller and that it pulls. as you describe it.

Before deciding on any correctional surgery, if necessary, I would give your plastic surgeon the chance to investigate, explain and sort the problem. You can also insist that he refers you for a second opinion to a colleague, or just go for a second opinion to another plastic surgeon of your choice.

In the case of any complication plastic surgeons would normally charge you a reduced fee.

If you are still unhappy about the situation, you can also approach the Association for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons for advice. Their website is www.plasticsurgeons.co.za

Good luck!