Question
Posted by: AK101 | 2007/11/28

Docter prescribes antidepressants.

We have a new GP. He recently prescribed antidepressants to my fiance after seeing him for only 5 minutes. My fiance has general symptoms like feeling down all the time, tiredness, loss of appetite etc. I know my fiance has a lot of work stress and eats very infrequently. Depression does not run in his familly at all.

I recently gave him on a good exercise plan and we are both on a healty diet. I am also encouraging him to practice his hobbies more often and to be outside as much as possible (which is where he loves to be). He does not want to take the antidepressants. I am not sure whther he should either. Would it not be better to wait it out a bit and see if the change in lifestyle makes a difference?

Though depression does indeed run in some families, which would increase one's risk of developing it, probabl a majority of depressions arise in someone with no such family history. GPs tend to work with short consultations, and while 5 minutes may sound rather brief, if a diagnosis like Depression is pretty obvious, it can be made rather rapidly. On the other hand, such symptoms can also have a number of other possioble causes, whioch should be considered, too. SHould he wait a while before starting the antidepressants ? That's not really something I can advise on : if he is significantly depressed, there may be no advantage in waiting. If the degree of depression is mild, maybe waiting a couple more weeks may be reasonable. He could also ask about the availability of CBT counselling, which is as effective as antidepressants, and helps one learn how to handle stress and depression and avoid such problems in the future, too