Question
Posted by: Ja9 | 2006/10/24

Doc this is APL

Doc, referring to my previous question I found this on the internet, how bad are these injections. I got quite sick last week and my GP told my I have a severe calcium deficiency. I have since stopped but wanted to ask if you knew anything about this.

A.P.L.® Injection 5 000 IU
A.P.L.® Injection 10 000 IU

SCHEDULING STATUS:
S4

PROPRIETARY NAME
(and dosage form):

A.P.L.® Injection 5 000 IU
A.P.L.® Injection 10 000 IU
plus Sterile Diluent for A.P.L.®Injection

COMPOSITION:
A.P.L. (human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG)) is biologically standardised and the potency is declared in terms of the second International Standard for Chorionic Gonadotropin. Each unit represents the specific gonadotropic activity of 0,001279 mg of the standard preparation held by the National Institute for Medical Research (England) on behalf of the World Health Organisation.

When reconstituted with 10 mL of accompanying sterile diluent, the resulting solutions also contain 2,0% Benzyl alcohol as a pr preservative, not more than 0,2% phenol, and the following concentration of (lactose: APL 5 000: 0,9%; APL 10 000:1,8%.

PHARMACOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION:
Category A, 21.10 Trophic hormones.

PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTION:
Chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone of human pregnancy; it is secreted by the syncytiotrophoblast of foetal placenta as early as 7 days after ovulation, and it is absorbed into the blood in sufficient quantity to sustain luteal function and forestall the next menstrual period. The secretion of LH therefore remains suppressed because of the rising concentrations of oestrogen and progesterone (Lipsett and Ross, 1978).

Peak levels of serum HCG are reached between the eighth and twelfth weeks of gestation. Thereafter, the levels decline reaching a nadir in the second trimester where they remain until parturition.

The changes in the corpus luteum in early pregnancy reflect the intense luteotrophic stimulation provided by the LH-like action of chorionic gonadotropin.

In the pregnant woman HCG is placentotrophic, increasing the output of oestrogens and progestogens from the placenta. An adrenotrophic effect on the foetus has also been demonstrated.

In the male, A.P.L. (chorionic gonadotropin) is given in an attempt to stimulate the interstitial cells of the testes (cells of Leydig) to produce androgen. The response may be considered similar to the effect produced by the interstitial cell-stimulating hormone (ICSH) from the anterior lobe of the pituitary (anterior pituitary-like).

A.P.L. is likely to be of benefit in conditions directly related to insufficient secretion of androgen provided the interstitial cells of the testes are capable of stimulation.

A.P.L. (human chorionic gonadotropin) has no known effect on fat mobilization, appetite or sense of hunger or body fat distribution. HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity.

INDICATIONS:
In the female:
1. Infertility - Ovulation Induction:
A.P.L. is used in the induction of ovulation after the carefully monitored stimulation of follicular maturation with either human menopausal gonadotrophins (HMG) or clomiphene citrate.
In the male:
2. Cryptorchidism not due to anatomic obstruction. A.P.L. may also be used
(a) as a diagnostic aid to determine the need for surgery;
(b) pre-operatively, with a view to facilitating the procedure by increasing the size of the testes and the length of the cords.
(c) Postoperatively as an aid in preventing retraction of the testes.
3. In selected cases of male hypogonadism secondary to pituitary failure (delayed adolescence, hypogonodotropic eunuchoidism).
CONTRA-INDICATIONS:
Precocious puberty, prostatic carcinoma or other androgen dependent neoplasia, prior allergic reaction to chorionic gonadotropin.

Conditions in which fluid retention may be dangerous e.g. asthma, migraine, cardiac or renal disorders

Dear Ja9
Thank you for supplying me this interesting information. As the text states: this products does NOT assist with weight loss in any way and should only be used for cases of infertility in women or cryptorchidism affecting males. I am so glad that you have stopped using the injection as it is a) useless of weight loss, b) potentially harmful when used for individuals who do not suffer from infertility, etc. I get so worried when my Readers tell me they are being injected with some or other product to supposedly produce weight loss - most of them can't tell me what the injection contains and I just know these injections are either just a placebo (dummy product) or potentially harmful. Did the dr prescribe a good calcium supplement for you like Calcium Sandoz? or Caltrate? If not, do take one of these products as directed on the label and also have 3 to 4 cups of milk or yoghurt or 2 cups of cottage cheese a day to provide the 1000 mg of calcium you need a day. Other cheeses are also rich in calcium. Use the low-fat variety dairy products if you worry about the fat content of milk and dairy.