Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2005/12/15

Doc, Please urgently advise

Hi Doc,

Please can you assist me. I recently found out I'm pregnant (6 weeks). My HCH levels are good & I'm only seeing my gynae in a weeks time. However, my concern is that I went for an op to remove my wisdoms (at 4 weeks, / 2 weeks after conception) - I did not know I was pregnant. Please advise if the anesthetic would affect my baby & what I can do

Dear Concerned

I do apologise for the late response.

It is very unlikely that the anaesthetic would have interferred with the pregnancy. However, without knowing exactly what medication /drugs were used, and which antibiotics were given, it is difficult for me to comment fully on this issue.
However, to set your mind at rest, a two week conceptus (embryo) is fairly well protected from medication and anaesthetics and therefore the risk would be minmal to negligilble.