Question
Posted by: TASH2 | 2004/11/02

DOC PLEASE RESPOND....LADIES INPUT PLEASE

I am 31 weeks preg and my gynae has advised me that because my placenta is quite lowing lying, I should prepare for the possibilty of a ceasar. She says that in these cases one looses lots of blood and might need a transfusion. So she has advised me to speak to family members with my blood group to donate and preserve for me in case I need it.
Question is....can I not "donate" my own blood little by little to be preserved for when I need it end Dec when baby comes?

As the other respondents have said, you cannot donate blood in pregnancy as you and your baby need it.

5
Posted by: TASH2 | 2004/11/02

R, Kate, Kippie and Liz...thanx so much for your feedback, very much appreciated.
Kippie, did u also have a low lying placenta?

Reply to TASH2
Posted by: Liz | 2004/11/02

You could also consider the option of bloodless surgery as there are a number of alternatives to blood without the added complications. Try to speak to a Netcare doctor - they are all trained and know about the other products that can be used instead of blood. It will also be much safer for you in the long run.

Reply to Liz
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/11/02

This is normal procedure when they do an operation of this magnitude!!
Remember that it is a huge procedure (I had 3 done) and this is what is medically expected of them to prepare for.
I was also in a state, desperately looking for an compatible family member and the doc said it is only in extreme cases or if something REALLY go wrong that they will need extra blood.
Also be assured that the Blood banks take extreme precautian to test the blood.
You cannot donate during pregnancy (I wanted to know too!) seeing that you are not the only one dependable on your blood, being pregnant, the baby uses it too - so it is too risky to donate during pregnancy.
I am sure you will not need any extra blood - your gynae has probably performed lots of ceasars before and will be capable!!

Good luck!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Kate | 2004/11/02

I was also told that I could not donate my own blood during pregnancy even though I may have to have a transfusion due to RH incompatibilty. I didn't need a transfer in the end.

Take your doctor's advise and plan ahead. If you trust you Mom or brother, or whoever it is, the blood should be fine and you should feel happy with that. All blood is tested for HIV anyway, regardless of who it is.

Take care and remember that your doctor is givibng you a worst case scenario and you will probably be fine!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: R | 2004/11/02

I don't think so. I used to give blood before I was pregnant and the blood bank said I should wait till after I am finished breastfeeding.

You and your baby need all your blood.

R

Reply to R