Question
Posted by: Doberman's mom | 2007/05/09

Doberman Pincher- Hip Dysplasia? Nzymes?

We have a dobermann pincher, approx 5 years old. The last month or so both his hind legs have started "lagging behind" when he walks. They're stiff and if someone walks into him, he howls with pain. Also, sometimes when he's walking, they just give in under him. The vet gave him pain medication at first, and then cortisone for 10 days. The cortisone helped a little when he was on it, but it's been finished for 5 days, and he gets worse every day. He falls down more, and yesterday couldn't get up. They haven't taken any x-rays but said it could be hip dysplasia.
Has anyone's pet had this? He weighs more than 30 kg, so he can't be operated on, according to the vet. Another question - I've read about nzymes on the internet. It's a product from the USA which apparently worked wonders for many dogs. Does anyone know if it's available in SA? Cybervet, without seeing him, do the symptoms seem like hip dysplasia?

No I am afriad it does not sound like hip dysplasia. Hip dysplasia is a chronic disease (in other words it is present for a long time) and can ne without symtoms initially and then gradually progress. This sounds more like a neurological problem and could be in the neck region as is often seen in Dobermans. It is important that a diagnosis be made soon because if surgery is indicated the sooner it is done the better the chances of recovery. please ask to be sent to a specialist veterinary centre for further investigations.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/09

It sounds like your dog has a serious problem and personally I don't think I'd be satisfied with the level of attention you appear to be getting from your vet.

I can tell that you are concerned about your dog, but you need to make it your business to get him adequate medical attention without delay, because he's not well and you are his only source of help.

Please let us know what happens.

Reply to Chill