Question
Posted by: advice | 2008/01/10

Doberman advice

Hi Cybervet and animal lovers. I am considering adopting an 8 month old male doberman. My first priority are my cats 6 and 2 years old. what are they like with cats, kids and other dogs. Any advice welcome.
thanks

It all depends on how the dog was brought up. Why is he been rehomed? Will he be neutered by the time he gets to you? Supervised introductions will be necessary. Find out from the current owner how he gets on with cats and children. Dobermanns need a lot of exercise and is best to train them to obey voice commands as they will become large and strong. Well trained they make great pets.

7
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/12

Posted by: dobe lover | 2008/01/22

As someone who has a Red Doberman and two cats, my dobe likes to rough house with my cats but has not ever done anything vicious. However, I do not give him a chance too, either. They are never left together unsupervised. If he goes to nip at them I will correct him immediately. Dobes are an amazing breed and if given ALOT of excercise and discipline, they should be fine with animals of all types. Remember to excercise, excercise, excercise your dobe. Be firm!!! You are the alpha. If he knows his place, he will know exactly what he can and cannot do. This includes proper socialization with other animals through proper training. Go to a behaviorilist at minimum to get him assessed. If you are not willing to do any of the above, please do not get a dobe.

Reply to dobe lover
Posted by: advice | 2008/01/14

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Reply to advice
Posted by: Rottie owner | 2008/01/11

My first question is - if he is 8 months old, why are his current owners getting rid of him? Perhaps you should find that info out first?

Reply to Rottie owner
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/10

Obviously dogs' characters differ between breeds and between individuals within a breed.

Dobies are wonderful dogs, but I would suggest they need experienced owners, who either know a bit about dog behaviour and training, or are prepared to invest some time to learn.

The critical thing here is this dog's history. If he's grown up in a family environment, with other pets and children, and had been raised by people who know what they're doing, then there is no reason not to take him.

But, if the above do NOT apply, then I would be a bit hesitant. Remember that an 8-month-old dog, specially a male, is a handful at the best of times - they're just going through the phase of wanting to test their strength and dominance, and if you don't handle this right you could end up with a problem.

This doesn't apply only to dobies - it can more or less be said of any dog - but of course a smaller dog would do a lot less damage if things were to go wrong.

If you're really interested in this dog, and the conditions in which it was raised seem compatible with what you're requiring, then perhaps the cleverest thing to do would be to consult a behaviourist and ask for the dog to be professionally assessed for soundness with children first, and other pets second - that should give you valuable and useful help in making your decision.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008/01/10

My father bred dobermans when I was a child .... they were great and good with all our other pets.

BUT dobermans are bred as working dogs .. they NEED training and lots of excercise.

My boxer bitch has killed two small dogs but is fine with cats and chickens, ducks and geese .....

I would advise neutering the doberman , and taking him to puppy school ... has he been around cats before ????

It isnt that difficult to get a dog used to cats unless they are genuine cat killers .. so give a bit more history and I can tell you the dog cat introduction scenario.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Martie | 2008/01/10

I don't know anything about Dobermanns so please get more advice before you decide.
However I have to tell you that my friend who breeds a small breed of dog, has a very friendly female Dobermann who they bought as a small puppy. In the years they've had her she has killed about three very valuable stud dogs.
Best of luck with your decision.

Reply to Martie