Posted by: Elle | 2008/09/10

Do' s and Don' t w.r.t. first trimester

Hi. I' m 10 weeks pregnant and I have already been to the gynae twice and only going back in 2 weeks, but I have the following questions:
- I just read: " If you' ve been taking supplements with vitamin A, this is the time to stop taking them as high levels can be harmful to the developing foetus" . My facial creams have high levels of Vit A (Environ) - do I need to change that as well?
- Yesterday I bought a shower gel from the Body Shop called Be Calm. It has lavander in it and last night I read on the label that should I be pregnant I have to speak to my dr first. Can I use this or should I discuss it with my dr? What are the possible implications?
- I have a terrible tension headache (one of the reasons I bought Be Calm), anyway, is there something I can take for it? I also read yeasterday that I should not be getting massages in my first trimester. But I really need to do something about my neck and back as I had problems with it beforehand.
Your help would be appreciated.

1. Stop the Vitamin A creams. Thought the absorption is not high, it is best to be safe.
Lavender is best avoided as MM says.
A neck massage is not a problem and you can take Panado for the headaches.

Posted by: MM | 2008/09/10

Hi &  Congrats

Unfortunately bcos the cream seeps into the skin through the pores it does have an effect on the vit A levels in your body so yes you will have to look for an alternative while preggies.

Lavender is not good during pregnancy - can trigger contractions.

Massages are allowed BUT you have to go to someone who is qualified to give massages to pregnant woman. They have to know what kind of oils they can &  can' t use on you &  the specific pressure points etc bcos as strange at it may sound certain oils can trigger contractions (lavender) &  if the therapist applies pressure to the wrong spot (especially reflexologists) they can also trigger contractions.

Reply to MM