Question
Posted by: positive/negative | 2004/11/06

do positive thoughts help?

I have been accused of being quite a negative person. I am anxious and lack confidence-- a lifelong thing--so I am likely to see the dangers and pitfalls of every situation and usually to expect the worse of two options. SO OF COURSE i AM SELDOM DISAPPOINTED WHEN ThINGS GO WRONG AND JUST OCCASIONALLY surprised and happy when they go right. But maybe I bring ill luck on myself and I wonder whether having positive thoughts--pretending to be optimistic--can help? Nothing much goes my way in my life, although the rest of the family are ok.

Ir depends on what you mean by positive thinking. The person who, as their house burns down, says "Well, at least it makes a nice warm glow on this cold night !" and then " And I won't have to wash the dishes tomorrow" is an idiot. Realism is important --- and very negative thinking isn't realistic, either. It's worth thinking through the MOST LIKELY pitfalls and dangers, so as to avoid them IF they are avoidable.
Behaving positively can encourage your mood to catch up with your behaviour, while persistently miserable behaviour can drag you down. Best of all is to work with a counsellor, especially along CBT principles, to identify and test your cognitions and assumptions / automatic thoughts and revise them to be more fruitful.

3
Posted by: lady nina | 2004/11/08

hi there

i don't think positive thought will help - thats living a lie, but that i know does help is a positive attitude

take care

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Vee | 2004/11/08

????

Reply to Vee
Posted by: Sally | 2004/11/07

Hi, of course positive thoughts help! In fact, they can make such a difference. If you tell yourself that you are happy, then you need to believe it and you will see that your outlook will change for the better. There are some great books that can help you and that have a lot of different positive affirmations for various situations. Check out author such as: Louis L. Hay - you can heal your life. Another great book is: The power of Karma.

Good Luck!

Reply to Sally