Question
Posted by: Dee | 2006/10/30

Do my off day's do damage?

Hey Doc

Guess who? Quick question...Sunday's are my off day's for training as well as a eating plan. So basically I stuff my face with whatever I see. Would this be negative for my training? I am sure it is, but I am wondering how severe it is.

Also, the swimming bug has caught up with me big time, so I am in the pool almost everyday (trying to average about 70 laps a day, 100 if I am lucky). I managed to cut the ciggies down to four a day, but am I doing more damage? Evertime I get back from a swim, I can't help but light one up?

Thanks sooo much
Dee

Hi Dee

It depends, I guess, on how much you see and just how much you eat on that off day. I do think that having a day of letting yourself 'go' a little bit is not a bad thing, but you can undo a lot of hard work in a really short time if you are not careful, so try to control it if possible! In fact, I would even suggest that you should probably spread this 'indulgence' out over the week,and give yourself one small treat seven times a week, rather than just pigging out once a week with regularity.

Then the same goes for smoking - of course, zero is better than four. I don't think that you should beat yourself up about it though, considering that 4 already represents a decrease on the past. I am a big believer in small, regular changes, and that means that you should be aiming for a gradual cut back. The goal should be to stop smoking altogether, because yes, it is bad for you, but if we are realistic for a moment, the chances of cutting it out altogether are pretty slim. Therefore, rather smoke a couple as long as you are exercising and over time, try to reduce this, and eventually, you will have kicked the habit!

Ross