Question
Posted by: May | 2007/05/28

Do I overdo it with exercise

Dear FitnessDoc team

I am doing exercise for 5months 3-5days a week (brisk walking, aerobic, swimming) I am in this period that my body is tired and happends all the time. What help me through to take a break of one month and when I back on the track I have to take it slow. I am wondering why do this body of mine wants to take a break. Did it reach his fitness level? Thank you for answering my question.

Hi May

not necessarily, though no one can really tell you if you are overdoing it or not, that's something that each person must assess for themselves.

The fact that you are tired all the time suggests that yes, you could well be overdoing it. It may also be that you are not necessarily training too much, but that your other aspects of life are a little bit too hectic and the exercise pushes you over the edge. So you see, training is all relative - what is too much now might be fine in a few months time when things are not quite as busy. However, it is one thing you can control, so perhaps you should look at reducing the training volume a little.

I'm not a big fan of just utting it out completely - why take a month off? That's basically going from one extreme to another. Instead, I would say just cut back by maybe 20% - if you are currently doing 60 minutes a day, do 50 minutes, or training 4 days a week instead of 5, and you'll see a difference. I think that you need to assess the whole picture though, not just exercise, because 3 to 5 days a week is not massively extreme, so it does suggest that there are other factors precipitating your fatigue.

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2007/05/30

Nah....you not even close to overdoing it. Try getting your excercises into 1 month cycles, eg 3 weeks hard training and one week very easy....maybe just one or two excercises per week......this will give you time to recover from the 3 weeks hard sessions. The one week is good enough to recover.

Reply to Shaun