Posted by: confused | 2008/08/25

Do I need to see an endocrinologist?

Hi there. I' m a 28 year old woman. I' ve been suffering from fatigue over the past few years that seems to be getting progressively worse, to the point where I can' t do the things I used to enjoy doing, and where all I want to do is sleep during weekends. I get this ' heavy body'  feeling, sometimes accompanied by nausea and dizziness. There are days, though, when I feel relatively fine, but as soon as I exercise or go through emotional stress, I' m like a zombie for days afterwards. I' ve been to the doc and had countless blood tests. I had Epstein Barr virus a few years ago but that appears to be out of my system. What the tests did pick up was that I have a lot of thyroid antibodies (in the 1000' s apparently), but a normal TSH level. The doc recommended I see an endocrinologist, but I hear some are wary of treating patients in this scenario, because they don' t yet have the full-blown thyroid disease. But surely prevention is better than cure? How can I go about finding out about good endocrinologists in CT? I am a bit scared that I might end up at another dead-end, because I' ve been to see so many doctors and I' m not getting any answers. Is there a chance that the Epstein Barr might still be in my system, and is there a way to work it out of your system? Thanks so much.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Confused
What you can do is a full thyroid function test that checks T3 T4 and TSH. This will give you an idea if any of the thyroid hormones are really out of whack. Have they checked your blood for anemia, diabetes, liver or kidney abnormalities, auto-immune diseases and chronic rickettsia infections? Do you have unexplained body aches and pains? Do you have any signs of depression?
See this article:
I agree with your doctor - let him refer you to a good physician/endocrinologist. I don't have somebody to suggest but your Gp should know good doctors in your area. Ask him if you can take copies of all the tests you had so far with, as this will save you money.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Iolanthe | 2009/02/17

Test have found high levels of insuline and the doctor subcribe
metaformin HCI. do i need to see a endocrinologist?

Reply to Iolanthe
Posted by: Lizzy | 2008/10/10

Sounds like CFS and/or Thyroid disease.

You need a Physician that can pinpoint the problem then refer if necessary.


Reply to Lizzy
Posted by: anon | 2008/08/25

Dr Kinvig in Vincent Palotti comes highly recommened.

Reply to anon

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.