Question
Posted by: BEACON | 2003/12/22

Do I need to do more?

Today at the gym I did a 40 minute jog and 45 minutes weights on the upper body. I left my polar on the whole time. At the end of the 1 hour 48 minutes, it said I burnt 640 calories and my heart rate average was 143. Heart rate is between 165 - 180 during the jog but low while doing the weights. Is this a good enough work out for a 26 year old female. I do upper and lower body different days, both twice a week.
Height 1.68, age 26, weight 54kg.

Hi Beacon

2
Posted by: The Fitness Doctor | 2004/01/02

hi Again Beacon

Sorry, I made a mistake with the submission of my reply, so here is the full answer. As I said in answer to your previous question, the key is to look at the whole picture, and it's only been a few days since the previous question so the answer is basically identical. What is important and what you are doing right is to combine the cardio and weights. I do worry about the time - a 2 hour session is tough and I worry that you may be pushing a little hard and will soon either injure yourself and become overtrained. It's certainly enough, but again, diet is important and so is your training history.

I also agree with Bruce about the heart rate - I would in fact ignore heart rate during weight training - there is no point in using zones, because the exercise is completely different in nature to cardio, and it's impossible to interpret that properly. You are only heading for analysis paralysis if you analyse heart rate too much, as I said last time as well.

Lastly, I would also caution against calorie counting - I'm not a big fan, because the watch is only estimating, and it might be as far as 10 % off, which is a huge error, and secondly, you cannot possibly measure your calories over a whole day, and so it's a futile exercise.

The bottom line is that you just need to go ahead with the training and be sure to be consistent and balanced, and the results will come.

Reply to The Fitness Doctor
Posted by: bruce | 2003/12/23

Hi Beacon
it seems what you are doing is fine depending on what your goals are.I sugest you take separate heart rate readings for cardio and weight training sessions this will give you a more accurate reading at the end of the session. If you are not training for any sort of race i would suggest maybe another form of cardio to prevent your body from plateuing on the treadmill. Speak to an instructor at the gym to check out your body fat% as your BMI seems to be alright.

Reply to bruce