Question
Posted by: scorpio | 2005/12/09

do I need medication?

What would you recommend here. There seems to be an obstacle in the way of me, being me. When I am myself, people love me. But I always put on this other person. I am so worried that I will say the wrong thing and then get into trouble. When I know I have nothing to lose, I act normally and people seem to warm to me. How can I be like that in all situations? Should I see a psychiatrist to get medication?

No, actually, See a psychologist, especially of the CBT syle, for counselling, to put this right. A pill wouldn't do what's needed. And be cautious about the temptation to go for self-medication, with over-the-counter meds, street drugs or alcohol, which could make things much worse. With a counsllor this is quite easily fixable.