Question
Posted by: Jessie | 2007/03/02

DO I NEED INVASIVE SURGERY ?

Dear Doc
I have been having lower back pain since November 06 and been treated with antiinflammatories and physiotheraphy. Early January, I was admitted to hospital when I had stiffening and pain in both my legs as well as my lower back including fever. Walking was extremely difficult with the acute pain and stiffness. My physician sent me for an ultrasound, xrays of the back and I have had at least 4 blood tests with no definite diagnosis except the inflammatory markers where high when I was admitted to hospital on the 2 Jan 07. I was kept for obsservation and tests and was prescribed pain killers and antiflammatories and there was no improvement. I subsequently requested for physiotheraphy which helped me a great deal to get back on my feet. The pain had subsided and the stiffness had improved. I visited my gynae on the 6 Feb 07 and was extremely uncomfortable during the exam. I am 48 years old and am on the Evorel conti patch as HRT and I still have my womb. On the day and after my exam with the gynae I experienced immense pain on my lower abdomen which barely subsided with a very strong painkiller. I started menstruating and have been almost every day and with somedays being extremely heavy menstruation i.e. clotting. The ultrasound that I had done did indicate that I had numerous fibroids. I started HRT during July 2006 and did not menstruate for almost a year previosuly. This past weekend I experienced lower back pain and pain on my legs as well as my( inner thighs) which is a new pain. I am not doing any exercise and am quite concerned with the development of pain from my back, abdoment and now to my inner thighs. My gynae recommended I have a laparascope and hysterscopy done to investigate the problem. I am also afraid to go for invasive surgery. Can you please help !!!
Jessie

I think that this is the least you have to have with the abnormal bleeding. These procedures are not particularly invasive.