Question
Posted by: Diana | 2005/12/01

Do I need extra Vitamins?

Hi, I work out 4-5 times a week. 40 min Cardio work out and 30 min Yoga. My BMI is 21.4, I eat healthy, lots of salad, fruits and whole grains. Sometimes I feel dissy when I get up to fast and I catched a cold for a couple weeks and I don't get rid off it really. I was wondering if I should take extra Vitamins or Minerals to support my Immunsystem. Do you have a suggestion? I look forward to your answer.

Thank you very much,
Diana

Dear Diana
Your diet sounds quite well balanced to me. Dizziness could be due to a number of conditions like low or high blood pressure, iron-deficiency anaemia or physical conditions like an inner ear infection. If these spells are troublesome you should have a medical checkup to eliminate any underlying problems. The tendency to catch colds may be due to the intensity of the exercise you do. It is a well known fact that athletes depress their immune systems is they exercise too strenuously and do not use a carbohydrate source when exercising to prevent the rise in a chemical called cortisol induced by heavy exercise. You could try using an energy drink such as Powerade, or Energade or EnerG during and after exercise to boost your carb intake and prevent cortisol peaks. I would wait with taking supplements until you have had your medical checkup to see if you perhaps suffer from iron-deficiency anaemia, in which case the dr will prescribe an iron supplement like FerroFolic.