Question
Posted by: Gatvol | 2008/02/01

Do I need attitude adjustment

Dear Doc
I phd my gynae of 30 years for appt. The receptionist was obviously busy and huffy and said she'd phone me back. When she did and we tried to set an appointment, when I could, they couldn't etc eventually agreeing on a date and time and I then said that if suitable it could even be earlier that day.well she sighed and said in Afrikaans "O God", and I freaked because she was then so rude to me and I said that I had never been spoken to like that before, she said "ag come on man - don't be like that" ... My blood pressure went sky high and I said because of her attitude I'm inclined to not want to go there and asked that she gets the doctor to phone me. That never happend, I smsd him. No reply. Today I phoned to ask for a referral letter as I'm going to another Gynae/ Well then the doctor came on the line and informed me that it was in fact the bookkeeper who helped me that day but if that was my attitude then he would give me a letter. IS IT ME OR WHAT. I expect professional courtesy when I deal with a receptionist or anyone else who deals with the public. But I do feel sick on my stomach now as this Gynae performed a miracle never before done, op on me years ago and was so grateful to him for giving me a new lease on life. I might add at the same time he is in his late 60's and may be time for change>

The doctor is being over-protective of his staff. His bookkeeper should not be handling patient queries and requests, and he should apologise for her having been rude to you. Maybe he's becoming a Grumpy Old Man ? ( I"m a fully-enrolled member of that club )
You have an absolute and over-riding right to expect helpful and polite treatment from ALL of his staff, and he should never allow someone with attitude problems to deal with patients.

4
Posted by: Hope* | 2008/02/01

You must go to the same gynae as me.  Very rude receptionists.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Sam | 2008/02/01

No I don't think you are asking too much for a little respect! I have noticed that people really seem to have lost their manners and common courtesy.

About a week ago I experienced this first hand, my son who has been taught by his dad that ladies must always go first, was waiting for two young ladies and their mother to pass before going up the stairs. Needless to say these madams took their time knowing that he was waiting for them and then the mother comes past and almost knocks him unconsious with her enormous handbag, not a word of thanks or an apology was forthcoming! I could clearly see where these young "ladies" get their manners from.

Well that's my grunt for the day.

Have a good one

Reply to Sam
Posted by: fg | 2008/02/01

We have every right to want respect from the people providing services to us. In turn it we will also treat them with respect.

You arent being difficult. Throw your toys, you have a valid reason. The least he could have done was apologised

Reply to fg
Posted by: Lee | 2008/02/01

I have the same problem with my gynae... the lady in accounts is the rudest person i have ever come accross and manyatimes i have had to bite my tongue to not give her a piece of my mind. I dont think its you.. like you say people that deal with public need to be more curious!

A SA stat: South Africa has the 2nd worst customer service in the world

Reply to Lee