Posted by: Nelia | 2008/08/06

Do I need a mammogram?

I am 24 years old, married and on the pil (Minerva) for 4 years now. Since about two &  half years ago, I' ve started having these ' pinching'  pains in my right breast, and sometimes in the left. I' ve been to a GP two years ago, who inspected my breast and said that I have kind of swollen or clogged glands in my breasts because of the Minerva, but it' s nothing to worry about.
Then I went to a GP/Gynea for my yearly check-up in the beginning of the year. I told her about my pains in the right breast, and she said that it' s not uncommon for women to get those kind of pains, especially on the right hand side and I have nothing to worry about.
The pains seem to have become more regular and more intense, although not disrupting my life. It just concerns me, and I wouldn' t want to foolishly leave it, if it could be an indication of breast cancer. I do monthly breast inspections and don' t pick up anything strange, except for these little swollen glands.
I read somewhere on the internet that pain is not an indication of breast cancer, so I would just like to get your opinion, as to what I should do.
Should I wait 6 months for my next check up or do something more? I don' t particularly want to go for a mammogram, but want to be pro-active.

Mammograms are not very good in women of your age. Monthly breast inspections are the best option and see someone if you find something that wasn't there before.