Question
Posted by: Shadow | 2006/07/17

Do I look like a litterbox?

Okay I've had cats for a long time but this is the first time something like this has happened. My hooligan, bat-hunting cat Streep makes such a racket at night that I have to lock him up in the townhouse otherwise the neighbours complain. He's learnt how to open the window, but I'm still one step ahead and now make sure that he can't lift the little copper arm thingy with his head.

This morning, he wanted to go out badly, and was bouncing off the walls to let me know. I have a cold and just did not want to get up. Next time I opened my eyes, he was standing next to my pillow with his butt towards my face. Well guess what happened next... He SPRAYED me! right in the face and on my pillow.

There is a litterbox downstairs so he did not do that because he couldn't hold it any longer. I guess he must have been really p**d off with me. I'm not impressed.

Inappropriate voiding behaviour is common in animals (inappropriate for us anyway!!). It is unusual for a cat to respond in this manner. Most cats that are accustomed to going out to do their "business" will "hold it in" until they can go out, often to their detriment. For example some cats will not go out to the loo if the weather changes and end up with cystitis and a "blocked bladder". Supply more than one litter box for him to use as most cats will only use a litter box once - fussy about their ablutions. With regards to him spraying - well that is not acceptable! If he does that again it would be advisable to make an appointment to visit an animal behaviourist for an investigation of the probably cause and potential treatment.

3
Posted by: Shadow | 2006/07/18

Streep has so many behaviour problems, I doubt if anyone would be able to correct them. He was a neutered adult when he decided to move in with me a couple of years ago, and he's a monster but I tolerate him because I feel sorry for him. I think his previous people dumped him because he's so unpleasant.

He's not only named Streep because he has stripes; he also "streeps" everything within spraying distance. And he fights with other cats. He roams and hunts, and brings bats into the house, some of them still alive. An entertaining character, but a pain in the butt too. It's because of the fighting at night that I have to lock him up.

Before the face-spraying incident, the worst thing he ever did was to get caught in the electric gate. I rushed him to the vet, who couldn't stop laughing and said he never heard of a cat getting caught in a slow-moving gate. He said Streep was absolutely fine, but I should check whether the gate still worked, haha.

I think I should donate him to a cartoonist to use as inspiration for a comic strip.

Reply to Shadow
Posted by: Melbalina | 2006/07/18

Hahahahaha! I guess it was just his way of telling you that you open for him when he tells you to open and not when you feel like it LOL!

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: Carol | 2006/07/17

Im sorry but I had to laugh I can just imagine this p$$d of cat.

He was definately showing his annoyance .. cats have to be the strangest creatures out

Reply to Carol