Question
Posted by: Moony | 2005/11/18

Do I keep my ovaries?

I am 49 years old. For the past year I have been having a period every two weeks, but uterus has enlarged to a three month pregnancy and I have large fibroids which are causing me pain and burning everyday. I have been advised to have a hysterectomy. Is this my only option?

My doctor recommends removing the ovaries as well and inserting a subcutaneous hormone implant during the surgery.
Do I keep the ovaries?

Please help as I am booked for the surgery on the 28th and am very confused. I have already been for a second opinion and he told me exactly what the first doctor said.

Under the circumstances, hysterectomy is probably your best option. After the age of 45 years, the ovaries decline in their function of producing hormones and menopause usually occurs between 45 and 50 years, where the importance of the ovaries decreases. On the other hand, ovarian cancer risk increases at this age. The idea of removing the ovaries would be to prevent ovarian carcinoma or any cysts forming in the ovaries which no longer have a very useful function. The decision in the end is yours.