Question
Posted by: Pierre | 2003/12/03

Do I have pleurisy?

I've had a tightness/ tenseness in my chest now for the past 2 months. I felt it the morning after I'd been for a jog the previous day...... which I do occasionally and in this case because my chest muscles were aching and I thought a run might sort me out.... obviously a bad decision at the time.
After about 1 month my doctor prescribed anti inflammatory tablets, but it really didn't make any difference. I've concluded that I might have this thing called pleurisy, but the strange thing is when I do moderate exercise (playing tennis.... I haven't tried running again), it relieves the systems, but by the next day it's back again...... when I dont exercise moderately do I not get any better either.
My question is whether I just possibly might have pleurisy, in which case would moderate exercise be more bad than good, and whether my condition will improve if I just try and forget about it?

Pierre, one would expect the pleurisy to become less severe when you take anti-inflammatories. It is difficult to say what the problem is without examining you first, but I think it’s a bit dangerous to just ignore it and hope it will go away. The best would be to contact your doctor and to let him know that the problem still hasn’t cleared up. Good luck.