Posted by: Anne | 2008/06/11

Do I have mumps?

I am experiencing headaches (could be sinus), sore throat (could be sinus), sore ears (not normal) and my right cheek is slightly swollen - could this be mumps? One of the lttle ones in the house had mumps about 2 - 3 weeks ago and I had mumps as a child

Dear Anne
some people get mumps a second time. Mumps usually cause swelling of the cheek above the line of the jaw and lifts the earlobe a little bit. If you eat something sweet or sour you will feel an acute pain just in front of your ear. However I think you should let your doctor have a look too as you may need antibiotic prescription.

Posted by: Mona | 2008/12/14

My daughter' s jaw/cheeks started swelling a week ago. The swelling has fortunately gone down, but I would like to know how much longer she is contageous. The doctor originally said 7-10 days &  I have heard reports of up to 21 day!!!! HOW do you keep a child isolated for 21 days!! Her glands are still lumpy, but she' s feeling fine (besides feeling frustrated by being stuck in doors!!!! Please advise.

Kindest Regards, Mona

Reply to Mona