Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2007/11/28

do i have hypothyroidism?

Hi there Doc,

I have lately (for the past 2 months or so) been exercising a lot and going to the gym for about 2 hours each day because I had put on a little more weight than i was comfortable with....I had exercised realtively regularly before that as well, just not as much. I have been eating less than prior to those two months of intense exercise and still I have not lost any weight. I have heard that there is a condition called hypothyroidism in which one struggles to loose weight due to an underactive thyroid. I looked it up, but i do not have any of the othersymptoms described, such as excessive hair loss, although I am cold more often than I should be. I am embarrassed to go to my Dr to have this checked out because I am sure that he will immediately shake off the idea...is there any way that I can have blood tests done to confirm/reject whether i have hypothyroidism without having to go via a Dr?

Thanks very much.

Dear Anonymous
Ask him to do a general medical check up and to check your TSH too - he won't think anything it. Remember if you gym you build muscle that replace fat and may cause your weight to stay constant. Rather measure yourself or feel by your clothes if you are losing fat!