Question
Posted by: Curious | 2004/10/04

Do I have a sensible work out programme???

Last week I had a gym instructor set a workout programme for me. I am 21yrs old, 1.75m tall and weigh 55kgs. He says that I don't need to loose weight so he has given me a programme to firm and tone. Please could you tell me if this work out programme is sensible - I don't want to pick up any weight.

Monday - 20 min on the bike
- focus on lower body (takes approx. 1hr15min)

Tuesday - 1 hour cardiovascular excercises

Wednesday - Walking for 45min (jogging in between)

Thursday - 20min on the bike
- focus on upper body (takes approx. 1hr15min)

Friday - 45 min walking
Sunday - 45 min walking

I used to do alot more cardiovascular excercise but can't with the new lower body and upper body workouts.

Thanks for all your help

Hi Curious.

The programme is not too bad, from the info I have. A lot depends on what you do during each session - for example a weight training session can achieve quite different results depending on the specifics of the session, and so that's up to you.

The other thing to remember is that cardio and weight training are not completely segragated, and so even cardio will produce some toning. I say this so that if you do decide that you want to do less weight training and more cardio, you can do it without too much stress. The weight training is fine, and since it's only 2 days a week, I think it's just right, but if you do find it tiresome and you feel like a week off, that's fine too.

HOwever, all in all, it sounds good, has the right frequency, types of activities and you could definitely do a lot worse than this programme.

GOod luck

1
Posted by: IC | 2004/10/08

The program seems fine.

You wont build muscle (get bigger) with the amount cardio youre doing

Reply to IC