Question
Posted by: Lynnie | 2004/01/15

Do I go back to the doctor or not?

Dear Doc

I went off the pill in August 2003 and on my doctor's advice waited 2 months before my husband and I started trying for a baby. Ever since I went off the pill my periods are very light. Starts with a bit of red blood for 1 day and then a brown discharge for about 5 days. My cycle is 24-25 days. Do you think I need to go back to my gynae? Is a period that is this light normal? I was on the pill for a long time.

Your periods are a bit lighter than normal, but the more important thing is whether they are regular. I agree with Purple that you should give it a bit longer.

2
Posted by: Lynnie | 2004/01/21

Thanks for your reply Purple.

I think I might have worked out the fertile time incorrectly as well. I was working on day 14 for ovulation, but as my cycle is so short of course that was wrong. Like you say, ovulation most likely will happen on day 11 so we'll keep trying.

Good luck with your last few weeks. Hope all goes well. And enjoy your little bundle of joy.

Reply to Lynnie
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/16

I'd suggest giving it another 6 months of trying. Write down your start dates of your cycle so that you can work out your most fertile time (your's is probably around day 11) so that you and your husband can make sure that you are making love during your most fertile time (a few days before and after day 11).

I don't know if a period that light is normal, gynaedoc will answer shortly I'm sure.

Good luck. It took us over a year to fall pregnant. I'm now 36 weeks.

Reply to Purple