Question
Posted by: jude | 2004/11/04

dizzyness and sugar cravings

Dear Doc..

I have managed to loose 11 kg of my excess weight! (Stil about 60kg to go!!) I find that I am very dizzy, tired and get sugar and "bread cravings". I've had obese eating habits, but managed through motivation and your website to eat five small meals a day.
(According to a weighless programme). I do not feel well at all and would appreciate it if you can advice me in what to do. Also I would like to know if it will help if I take Herbal Remedies to contain my cravings i.e. Herbex Herbal Drops?

Thank you for your time..

Jud

Dear Jude
Congratulations on losing those 11 kg - next time you go into a supermarket, pile up 11 tubs of margarine and be happy that you have shed all this fat. If you are with Weighless I would suggest that you discuss these simptoms with your group leader because they may be able to adjust what and how much you eat to prevent what I think may be simptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). It may also be a good idea to have a medical check to see if you do suffer from hypoglycaemia. If you do have hypoglycaemia then it may be advisable to consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area, who will work out a diet with a low glycaemic index for you that will also promote weight loss, but prevent the hypoglycaemia and the sugar cravings. I would not recommend that use of any slimming pills and potions - rather spend that money on seeing the dietitian.
Holding thumbs that you soon feel better.

1
Posted by: Lofat Nofun | 2004/11/04

Sounds like you have classical symptoms of insulin resistance. If you're addicted to carbohydrates, then you should eliminate all the dense carbohydrate foods from your diet. Grains and sugar are NOT suitable foods for humans, and are the leading cause of chronic illness and obesity.

I highly recommend that you read up on this. Start with www (dot) mercola.com

Knowing your metabolic type, and what foods work best for your individual metabolism is the starting point.

There's no such thing as a "one size fits all" diet.

Reply to Lofat Nofun