Question
Posted by: Catherine | 2007/03/17

Dizzy spells at 80

I submitted my question to they gynae - how clever was that?!! My mother-in-law is 80 years old, and for a few weeks now has been experiencing some odd dizzy spells. She often loses her vision in these spells, which last about 30 seconds or so, and feels as though she's going to faint. She also says she sometimes has a ringing in her ears and a funny sensation down her arms. What could be causing this, and where should I take her to be checked out? Do I go to a GP or straight to a specialist?

Dear Catherine
Go to the GP first - he must look and see whether this is a brain thing or a heart thing. He can do basic examination and bloods if needed and refer her to the right specialist.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/17

She might have already had a stroke. These are definite stroke symptoms and she needs to see a doctor immediately.

See Stroke under Condition Centres on the home page of this website.

Reply to anxious