Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2007/12/12

Dizzy

Dear CD
I had a MRI done 12/03/07:

A MRI shows degeneration of the C4/5 disc as well as C5/6 disc, causing compression of the C6 nerve. Reason why the MRI was done is becuase i suffer with severe neck pain and arm pain. especially down my left arm.

Lately i have been very dizzy, when i get up from either lying or sitting down. Could this be due to the C6 nerve being compressed?

Michelle

Hi Michelle
I don't think this could be the cause, but this could be symptoms of orthostatic hypotension and could be due to medication, heart arrhythmia, anemia, low cortisol, diabetes, or dehydation. The treatment for orthostatic hypotension depends on the underlying cause. You will have to visit your GP to try and identify the problem — dehydration or heart failure, for example — as this should be treated rather than low blood pressure itself.